Powered By Blogger

Monday, January 18, 2010

Chapter Three

I looked back at him and noticed the seriousness in both his voice and eyes. I suddenly calmed down and waited for what he was going to tell me. We both sat down on a nearby bench. I saw him fidgeting around in his pocket for something. As I was going to ask what this was all about, he then pulled out a picture.

The sun made my vision a little blurry so I squinted to see the person in the picture. As I got a good look at it, I rubbed my eyes. "That-that person looks like me!" I remarked. But I knew that I never took a picture of myself in ages. How did Peter get this? I thought.

"I know you may be surprised. But she was a good friend of mine. Elaine, I mean." Peter faintly smiled. I felt a sudden pang of regret, although I didn't know why. "It's weird how we both look almost alike. I'm sure I never had a twin, or at least that what my aunt told me." I mused.

"No wonder you smiled back there." I remembered a few hours ago, looking into his face and smiling. "I reminded you of Elaine. Where is she now?" I asked. At this question, Peter's face looked melancholy. "I-I'm sorry. It's okay if you didn't answer." I quickly said, ashamed of asking such a personal question.

"She went away." Peter sullenly said. My expression changed into one of confusion. "Elaine had to move to Europe the year ago. I never knew of the news, until one of her best friends told me all about it. It's unlike her to disappear suddenly. We used to do everything together when we were kids." I then remembered that his career started a year ago. Would this tie to Elaine's sudden departure?

"I guess she purposely never wanted you to know." My voice faltered. I had the feeling that there was more than just going away. "I'm guessing she wanted you to forget about her and to get on with your life." I clutched my mouth. What were these words? I thought.

Peter gave me a skeptical look. "But how could I?" He asked me, his voice getting angrier. Now look what you did, Ana. A little voice told me that it was the best time to go.

"Peter, it's your choice whether to forget about her or not. But, you have a life ahead of you." I started to walk away, knowing to end a discussion was to just walk away. "Oh, and my name's AnaTolia, if you wanted to know."

No comments:

Post a Comment